10 months ago
About the Team
While the Soo Greyhounds have only been members of the Ontario Hockey League since 1972-73, the name dates back to just shortly after the First World War. According to local hockey historian, Wilf Ross, an un-named Soo team was to begin competing in the now-defunct Upper-Penninsula Hockey League. Officials considered having a name selected by the general public, but the team’s coach, George MacNamara, had an idea of his own. He apparently asked that the team be called the Greyhounds because “a Greyhound is much faster than a wolf,” a reference made to the already established rival club, the Sudbury Wolves.
The team competed for just a few seasons in the Upper-Penninsula League before moving in the N.O.H.A. Senior “A” loop. The team won the Allan Cup in the 1924 season, and many believe should have won the Cup the year previous as well.
Besides MacNamara, other coaches of the Greyhounds included the likes of Bun Cook and Don Grosso. The team competed in the senior ranks for several seasons before the formation of the N.O.H.A. Junior “A” League. It is this version of the Greyhounds which immediately preceeded the current OHL Greyhounds.
Ross says that the only other name he can remember attached to a Soo team prior to the Greyhounds were the “Marlboroughs”. Three MacNamara brothers, George, Howard, and Harold played on that team, as well as the legendary Newsy Lalonde.
It is not clear how the team colours came to be red and white.